Ready for some Kenny Rogers quotes? Whether you love him or hate him, you have to admit that Kenny Rogers is one of country western music’s most famous players. His birthday is right around the corner and I’m kicking off a quotes celebration to honor it. Let’s celebrate with Kenny with these 11 quotes from life and from his music.
1. “Growing older is not upsetting; being perceived as old is.”
2. “There is a trade off — as you grow older you gain wisdom but you lose spontaneity.”
3. “Don’t be afraid to give up the good for the great.”
4. I never had a doubt in my mind. I always knew that, with the right material, I could pop a hit.”
5. “Sometimes you gotta fight when you’re a man.”
6. “All good things must end. Like two heroes in a story, let’s go out like we came in — in a blaze of glory.”
7. It seems to me some fine things have been laid upon your table, but you only want the ones you can’t get.
8. Some folks called me a dreamer, other folks left and called me a fool. All I ever wanted to be was a winner, because I know a winner can never lose.”
9. “Have I told you lately that I love you?”
10. “And the ball goes up like the moon so bright, the boy swings his bat with all his might. and the world’s so still as still can be, and the baseball falls, and that’s strike three. Now it’s supper time and his mama calls, little boy starts home with his bat and ball, says I am the greatest that is a fact, but even I didn’t know I could pitch like that.”
11. “You gotta know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ’em, know when to walk away, know when to run.”
and how about this version: “Know when to hold ‘um, know when to fold ‘um and know when to walk away from cameramen.”
While some of the words Kenny has spoken throughout his life have definitely held meaning, his songs hold a lot of depth too. As his August birthday quickly approaches, let’s remember the man who told us it’s okay to fold em, let us know we sometimes need to fight and taught us a bit about being optimistic with these eleven Kenny Rogers quotes.